HOW TO CO-WASH RAW CURLY HAIR
Our curly textures require a more extensive haircare regimen and this is simply due to the structure of curly hair strands. Again, when purchasing curly hair it is important to have a realistic expectation of the maintenance that goes into having beautiful curls. Unlike “beauty supply” hair or many virgin curly hair options that may remain in the same curl without manipulation, our curly textures are cut from single donors and known for looking as if the hair was your natural hair! You must understand that it will act as such and need to be maintained accordingly.
So, what causes hair to curl? The perfect blend of protein and moisture!
Keep in mind when curly hair is lacking moisture, the more it will expand or swell with humidity. Curly hair is more porous than straight textures therefore it tends to pull moisture from the air causing the hair to swell. Once the hair swells and the cuticles become rough the hair may lose its curl pattern and become less visually appealing. This also leads to tangling and matting as the strands rub together. Therefore, it is important to follow a routine care regimen with curly hair to help combat these issues.
When we deep condition and have a regular hair care routine in place our hair is more manageable, softer, and less prone to breakage and frizz.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR PACKAGE
Upon arrival you may notice your bundles have a light floral fragrance due to our signature YUMMY co-wash and deep condition prior to shipment. Additionally, your curly hair has been in transit and may need to be revived and restored to its true beauty. Please refrain from running your fingers through your curly hair while in a dry state. This may cause tangling and excess frizz.
Due to the initial wefting process from bundle construction, you may experience a few loose hairs during your initial CoWash. This is normal and should reduce significantly after the first few washes. We expect that you will have minimal shedding each day while following a haircare regimen. Please be advised that there is a significant difference between shedding and breakage.
Always wash your hair extensions prior to installation while leaving the zip-ties intact. This will allow you the opportunity to evaluate the bundles. If you detect any abnormalities kindly contact us immediately and we will resolve them accordingly.
Use the over and out method when installing your extensions. Although our wefts are custom designed for minimal shedding please refrain from piercing the wefts as this may affect the longevity of your extensions. Only cut your wefts when absolutely necessary as this may cause excess shedding. Although not required, you may seal your wefts using a high-quality weft sealant.
As an overview for curly haircare, conditioner only wash (CoWash) is recommended 3 times per week. This is a non-negotiable step and essential for the best results.
Products you will need:
- Moisturizing Conditioner.
- Curl Sealant/Curl Cream (optional depending on style)
- Denman Brush
- Hair Clips
- In the shower, section hair into 5-6 parts with hair clips before getting your hair wet. This will make the process much easier when dealing with curly textures.
- Wet all sections of your hair thoroughly while keeping each section separated.
- Section by section apply your conditioner and work through the section with a Denman brush. Be sure to work your way up from the ends. Detangling curly hair is easiest when worked in sections.
- Once detangled deep condition for 15-30 minutes.
- Now it’s time to rinse. For our kinkier textures we recommend leaving a bit of conditioner in the hair when rinsing. This will act as a leave-in conditioner and allow the hair to retain more moisture. For our looser curl patterns, rinse hair thoroughly to ensure the curls are not weighed down. Again, it is all about personal preference and what curly style you are rocking that day!
Now that we’ve finished the CoWash process, it’s time to move into Curl Definition!
- Section your hair into 3 to 4 parts and detangle your hair completely using a Denman brush. You want to make sure that all of your curls are completely brushed out. You cannot be lazy with this step because it will cause issues later.
- Use a water and conditioner mix in a spray bottle mixing 2/3 water and 1/3 conditioner. Spray each section thoroughly making sure that all sections are fully saturated.
- Apply a light sealant cream to hold in moisture. Use your Denman brush through each section where the product is fully saturated. When you brush through, you will notice the coils will start to form. You should have no friction with this step if, and only if, you were not lazy with step 1.
- Once you have completed the washing process, use a cotton T-shirt to scrunch each section. The scrunching step helps to put the coil form in place and to stop the hair from dripping water.
- With your hair still in sections, use a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment to dry the hair until it is at least 60% dry. The diffuser head helps to prevent frizz and lock your curls in place. However, this step is optional as you can allow your hair to air-dry.
- LEAVE THE COILS ALONE. While curls are drying, you never want to touch or run your fingers through hair.
- Refresh as needed until next Co-Wash with water/conditioner mix spray.
- Between installs or once per month you may use an intensive hair masque or hot oil treatment to aid in the longevity of your extensions.
Always use a heat protectant when heat styling to avoid damage. Keep in mind, excessive heat styling can alter the original curl pattern and integrity of the hair (similar to your natural hair).
BEDTIME CARE/DAILY CARE
Before going to bed, put hair up in a high ponytail or braid into large sections and wear a satin scarf or bonnet. This will help to maintain the curl pattern and reduce frizz while sleeping.
Once you are ready to style your hair for the day remove your ponytail or braids and spray hair with water and conditioner mix to activate leave-in product. Section hair and brush from tips working your way up to the roots. Scrunch gently and allow to air dry. Avoid manipulation as this may cause excess frizz.
We recommend hydrating conditioners to maintain the moisture required for curly textures. Below are a few of our favorite products.
- Mielle Organics Rosemary mint masque (Soft Kinks texture only)
- Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
- Tresemme Flawless Curls Conditioner
- Tresemme Keeatin Smoooth Conditioner ( Good to combat frizz)
- Pureology Hydrate Conditioner
- Dominican Magic Detangling Conditioner
- Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls (SoftKinks and heavily textured curls)
- Vigorol Mega Moisture Mousse
- Denman Brush